Friday, June 25, 2010

Thanks A Mil


Here we are fresh out of college and ready to take on the world! Well, sort of.

A long time ago (back when I had blonde hair and wore body glitter) I graduated college with a BA in Communications and NO idea what I was going to do with my life. My boyfriend at the time had some friends who were involved with an internet travel company. They were mainly involved with web-based aspects but decided in the summer of '04 to try their hands at magazine publishing. They thought the Atlantic City-based magazine should entertain readers ages 18-35. They called it "CityAtlantic." Genius Title.

I was so honored when Larry, Mo and Curly asked me to be one of their contributing writers and gave me my first assignment: Bachelorette Parties in Atlantic City. This was my chance to be a writer and I was SUPER-excited! Sure, it was some rinky-dink magazine that had a .0 following but I didn't care. It was a job, and more importantly it was a WRITING JOB!

As a 21-year-old college graduate I hadn't attended very many bachelorette parties, so I did my homework--visiting numerous AC locations and interviewing club and spa owners, as well as local twenty-something girls. I wrote, what I thought to be, a clever, witty article naming five hot spots and adding just a touch of my usual sarcasm, as this was the overall tone the "editors" were looking for.

About a week later, I received word that they didn't like the article and weren't going to use it. I was crushed. I mean, I was certainly no Carrie Bradshaw, but I could put together a sentence or two and create a meaningful piece.

After that traumatizing experience, I stopped writing. I went back to school for education and the rest is history I guess. Though I truly love being a teacher, and KNOW it is what I was meant to do, I often wonder what life would have been like if I had pursued a career in journalism.

Starting this blog last summer gave me a chance to start writing again. In the past week, I have gained a couple of new followers and have really been enjoying all of your comments and words of encouragement. I wanted to give a heartfelt THANK YOU to all of you who read and follow. I love sharing my life with you and appreciate your kind words more than you know.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend because you all DESERVE it!

xoxox,
Miss Mac

PS CityAtlantic only published one magazine and then realized they knew nothing about writing, publishing, editing or Atlantic City.

2 comments:

  1. I graduated with a marketing degree and soon came to find out any one and their momma could go into marketing, kind of a useless degree if you ask me. Now I am trying my little heart out to find a teaching job to teach business education but teaching jobs are few and far between here in Dallas, TX. I love hearing how people got into teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well maybe if Atlantic City had kept a writer like you around they'd have published many more magazines! Your blog has been so fun to follow and I'm enjoying your posts.

    ReplyDelete