Friday, November 20, 2009

We the People




This past week my students and I embarked on our first adventure outside of the classroom. After reading a novel based in the late 1700’s in Philadelphia and learning about the history of our great country, we decided to visit The Constitution Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Leaving 24 students behind, (due to issues such as suspensions for fighting, cursing, refusing to follow directions and/or stealing) we boarded the school bus at 9:00AM and arrived shortly after 10:00 successfully, with no sexual acts nor fighting.

The second we step out of the bus there is negativity.

“Dang! It stink here. Miss Mac, they still got yellow fever here?”
“Why we come here? It stink!”

The first stop: Benjamin Franklin’s grave.

“He dead?”

“Um, yes. That is why we are visiting his grave. Otherwise, we would go to his house and have tea.”

After touring the constitution center and eating lunch, we headed over to see the liberty bell. You should have seen them. Their faces were priceless… staring in awe at a piece of our history and for just a second, I remembered they were just kids.

“That the real one?”

“Yes!”

“That go hard!” (Translation: That’s really neat-o!)

As I looked around at their little faces, I smiled. They would remember this moment and I felt good. I was their teacher and they were learning. It was so peaceful-so amazing and then…

“That the liberty bell? Ewww… its all cracked and sh*t.”

No comments:

Post a Comment